Our strawberry plants arrived in the post yesterday, with a WARNING! about planting them immediately or risking plant death – motivation enough for us. We ordered Cambridge Favourite for their promise to be relatively straightforward and good producers. 12 plants arrived tied up like this.
Our plan was to utilise an old raised bed that was left on our plot. After a bit of reading, we decided to plant them through a membrane to minimise weeding, especially since we’re aiming for 3 years of croppping. It also means the strawberries won’t be muddy.
We soaked the plants for a few hours before planting, created X-shaped cuts into the fabric, and dug deep holes so the roots would remain long. Holding the plant in the desired spot, we then backfilled the hole so the crown sits at surface level.
The plants will be covered by a cage to keep them clear from the birds, and protected with fleece while frost is still around. I’m looking forward to June!