This post is going backwards in time which is not great blog protocol but I thought it was important to document the turning of the soil in our new patch. Our house has a hidden plot of land, which is lucky as in year one it is aiming to be a source of produce as opposed to a beautiful french potager (although that may be quickly revised if and as we improve our skills – I do have my heart set on learning to espalier fruit trees). Here are RB and DB on Christmas eve using what one can only describe as an ancient, but totally functioning, petrol rotary tiller. RB is digging up and spreading the pile of ash in the old burn site, which we hope will add to the nutrients in the virgin earth.
And here is the patch a few weeks later, touched by frost from that January cold snap. RB and I managed to phone around to some local farms and get a car-load of well-rotted manure, which we have spread out onto the main patch we are tackling this year. Our soil is dense clay, so we will be doing a lot to break it up. We have also dug in our entire compost heap and last year’s rotted leaf compost.
We inherited a slightly neglected greenhouse, so RB and I spent a solid Saturday replacing broken panes. It’s a fiddly and thankless task, and we both ended up with some solid gashes. It does really make sense to wear gloves. It looks a bit sad in the photo, I can’t wait to see it teeming with green shoots.