Yesterday RB harvested about a pint of redcurrants, as well as a handful of blackcurrants and strawberries. I decided to make a first attempt at jam.
After reading a few jam recipes online, I interpolated my own simple formula: 1 part fruit to 1 part sugar, measured by weight. It seemed too easy, and after my crabapple debacle in the autumn I was not confident of the result, but it managed to set beautifully.
I put the fruit and the sugar in a small pot over medium heat to melt the sugar for 10 or so minutes first, checking the liquid on the back of a spoon to ensure the sugar crystals were all disintegrated. I then brought the jam to a boil and allowed it to simmer for 25 minutes. I can’t recommend the cold plate trick, as it didn’t work for me and yet the jam was firm and jam-like once cool.
Do follow sterilising methods for jars. I haven’t bothered with sealing as this small jar will be in the fridge and won’t last more than a month! It is delicious on RB’s homemade bread and oatcakes.